The original Pensacola Light was the lightship Aurora Borealis. The "Aurora Borealis" was put in place at Pensacola in 1823 from its original posting at the mouth of the Mississippi River.
In 1825 a 40-foot light tower was built on top of an existing sand dune ridge at the south entrance to Pensacola Bay.
In 1858 a new light tower was built on the north side of the bay entrance, The (new) current tower is 150 feet tall, and also sits on top of a 40-foot dune ridge located within the boundry of Naval Air Station - Pensacola, The current light stands 190 feet above sea level.
In 1863 following a number of naval skirmishes which damaged the tower, the light was relit. A new lens was placed into the tower in 1869.
The lighthouse was connected to electricity in 1939, eliminating the need for kerosene and manual winding of the light mechanism (every 4½ hours). The light was fully automated in 1965.
The Pensacola Light currently remains operational as an active aid to navigation.