Rising out of the Louisiana marsh just south east of New Orleans you will find Battery Bienvenue, a coastal gun battery lying in ruins in the marsh offshore St. Bernard Parish, Louisiana. The battery was constructed as part of the harbor defense system for the city of New Orleans following events of the war of 1812. The battery is located at a strategic junction where Bayou Bienvenue and Bayou Villeré join together in a direct approach to downtown New Orleans, as seen in the distance in several of the images. Bayou Bienvenue, as accessed through Lake Borgne, was the route of attack used by the British in 1814 to breach the city.
The battery was built in 1815 and improved several times over the years. Initial armament was planned for one 24pound and two 18pound cannons. The plan was expanded to twenty-four 32-pound cannon and two 13-inch mortars with a garrison of one artillery company. Eventually, four buildings occupied the parade ground which was to include a barracks, guardhouse, officers quarters, and an artillery magazine. The battery was approximately 600 feet wide, with the guns pointed outward towards Lake Borgne and was surrounded by a moat. The battery was abandoned in 1872 following the Civil War.
Raw Overflight Footage can be Viewed at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn8dL120TVg